Smartwatches are more than just cool gadgets to play with and wear. The best smartwatches are full health tracking systems with an ECG feature that assesses your heart’s health at any given time. With one of the best ECG smartwatches around your wrist, you can uncover irregular heart rhythms right away and get your heart health in order with no delay.
Wearable tech has gotten much better at ECG monitoring in recent years, and the best fitness smartwatches also offer trackers for everything from blood pressure monitoring to measuring your blood oxygen levels.
If you looking to purchase an ECG smartwatch with an ECG app you can trust for keeping track of your everyday health, we’re here to help with an in-depth list of the 6 Best ECG Smartwatches Available In 2021.
Let’s get you on track to feeling your best with entry #6 on our comprehensive countdown!
The 6 Best ECG Smartwatches For Sale In 2021
6) Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
- BODY COMPOSITION ANALYSIS: Galaxy Watch4 Classic is the first smartwatch to off body composition data right on your wrist, On your own schedule, now you can get readings on body fat, skeletal muscle, body water, basal metabolic rate, and Body Mass Index
- BETTER SLEEP STARTS HERE: Wake Up Feeling Refreshed And Recharged With Advanced Sleep Tracking; When You Go To Bed, Your Galaxy Watch4 Sleep Tracker Starts Monitoring Your Sleep And Spo2 Levels Continuously
- BE SMART ABOUT YOUR HEART: Take Care Of Your Heart With Accurate Ecg Monitoring And Keep An Eye On Possible Atrial Fibrillation, A Common Form Of Irregular Heart Rhythm; Share Personalized Readings With Your Doctor Using The Samsung Health Monitor App On Your Compatible Galaxy Phone
- MAKE EVERY WORKOUT COUNT: Get the most out of every exercise session with advanced workout tracking that recognizes 6 popular activities, from running to rowing to swimming, automatically in just 3 minutes. Stay motivated by connecting to live coaching sessions via your smartphone or to dynamic Group Challenges with your friends
- GO THE EXTRA MILE: Improve your runs with advanced running coaching technology; VO2 Max readings assess your oxygen levels to manage and track your heart and lung endurance
We start our journey through the wonderful world of wearable ECD devices with the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 — our pick over the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 for its comprehensive, accurate, and FDA-approved ECG app. Working in concert with Samsung’s Health Monitor app, the ECG monitoring function works hard to detect atrial fibrillation and other heart health risks before they take their toll on you. And with lengthy battery life and seamless connectivity to Android devices, you can notate and share important findings and info as you go.
- Works with the Samsung Health Monitor app to help you find and assess abnormal heart rhythm issues and heart attack risks.
- Long-lasting battery life even with full usage of the device’s ECG sensors.
- Share PDF reports of your ECG records with one of the most user-friendly ECG smartwatch interfaces out there.
- Pairs with Android devices for a fully connected experience.
- The new three-in-one BioActive Sensor monitors your heart rate, takes an ECG, and keeps tabs on your body composition.
- Advanced workout recognition tailors your user experience to your activities of choice.
- One of the most complete Android-compatible smartwatches we’ve ever tested, health sensors and all.
- The battery life isn’t as solid as other options on this list.
- The dearth of usable watch faces in the App Store is disappointing.
5) Apple Watch Series 5
- Always-On Retina display
- 30% larger screen
- ECG app
The first of two Apple Watch models on our countdown, the Apple Watch Series 5 was a marked improvement over its predecessor, the Apple Watch Series 4. With improved battery life and a much bolder display, the user experience of the Apple Watch Series 5 is undoubtedly enhanced. In terms of the ECG tracking function, it’s a user-friendly system that can help you reduce the risk of a heart attack with easy-to-decipher readouts and alerts through the included ECG app.
- One of the better commercial ECG devices of its generation or any generation.
- 30% larger screen than the Apple Watch Series 4.
- ECG and blood pressure monitoring uses electrical signals to give you the info you need.
- GPS connectivity helps you monitor your workouts and find your way while doing so.
- The third-party app support for this device is quite impressive.
- The ECG sensor is about as accurate as they come at this price point.
- Other than the Apple Watch Series 6, the Series 5 has few rivals in terms of overall aesthetics and display clarity.
- It’s not quite up to the level of the Apple Watch Series 6.
- This ECG device is still pretty expensive for being a last-gen offering.
4) Fitbit Charge 5 with ECG Monitoring
- Optimize your workout routine with a Daily Readiness Score that reveals if you’re ready to exercise or should focus on recovery (Requires Fitbit Premium membership).Band Size : Small: Fits wrist 5.1" - 6.7" in circumference. Large: Fits wrist 6.7" - 8.3" in circumference
- Get a daily Stress Management Score showing your body’s response to stress and take steps to improve your levels with an on-wrist EDA sensor mindfulness session
- With the Health Metrics dashboard, track SpO2, heart rate variability, skin temperature variation and more (Not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition and should not be relied on for any medical purposes. It is intended to provide information that can help you manage your well-being)
- See your real-time pace & distance without your phone using built-in GPS during outdoor activity, then see a map of your workout route in the Fitbit app
- Includes a 6-month Premium membership complete with personalized insights, advanced analytics, guided programs and more (New & returning Premium users only. Valid payment method required. Content and features may change)
A cost-effective fitness tracker with an impressive ECG feature, the Fitbit Charge 5 is an affordable workout partner worth considering. And with the addition of a 6-month Premium Fitbit membership, you can parlay accurate ECG readings into a complete body health analysis from day to day. Monitor your stress levels, track your blood oxygen, and keep a close eye on your heart rate with this low-cost fitness band gem.
- Secure advanced ECG readings thanks to a high-quality ECG sensor.
- Built-in GPS turns this wearable ECG device into a workout machine.
- 6-month Premium membership gives you advanced insights about the health features of this device.
- New color touchscreen that’s two times brighter than the Charge 4, and strong battery life.
- Contains some of the best stress and sleep tracking tools in the wearable tech world.
- The color touchscreen is bright and organized well for a user-centric experience.
- You can secure an acute, on-point ECG reading whenever you need it.
- The lack of customizable digital watch faces is a bummer.
- We wish there were more exercise routine shortcuts to play with.
3) Apple Watch Series 6
- GPS model lets you take calls and reply to texts from your wrist
- Measure your blood oxygen with an all-new sensor and app
- Check your heart rhythm with the ECG app
- The Always-On Retina display is 2.5x brighter outdoors when your wrist is down
- S6 SiP is up to 20% faster than Series 5
The newest entry in the Apple Watch oeuvre and the best one yet, the Apple Watch Series 6 is simply one of the best smartwatches ever produced. In terms of ECG devices, it’s near the top of the heap as well. The ECG sensor works hard to reduce your risk of heart attack and issues with atrial fibrillation, completing electrical circuits through the body for full ECG functionality. And when you purchase an Apple Watch Series 6, you’ll also be on the cutting edge in terms of third-party apps and customization options.
- Improved ECG functionality helps you spot irregular heart rhythms and potential signs of heart failure.
- Measure your blood oxygen levels with a clinically validated sensor.
- An intuitive interface helps you easily make sense of your ECG or EKG readings.
- Contains all the features expected from the best fitness trackers, and much more!
- This might be the fastest ECG smartwatch processor currently available.
- Plenty of case colors and band colors to choose from.
- The Apple Watch Series 6 has no rivals when it comes to third-party app support.
- The battery life improvement from the Apple Watch Series 5 is marginal at best.
- It’s quite expensive, especially if you want cellular connectivity.
2) Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2
- Better insights to reach your fitness goals get more out of every mile thanks to built-in pace coaching on the Galaxy Watch Active2. Its advanced sensors keep your pace to help you better achieve your run goals.
- Comfortably sleek the Galaxy Watch Active2 is light enough to wear anywhere comfortably. It comes in aluminum or stainless steel and with a variety of faces, bands and finishes so it goes with anything.
- Keep your beat. You can see if your heart rate is where you want it with Galaxy Watch Active2. Get automatically alerted if your watch detects a high or a low heart rate. This device and related software are not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, Mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease.
- Level up your downtime. Galaxy Watch active2’s built-in sleep tracker offers valuable insights on how to get a better night’s sleep. It also monitors your stress level and helps you recently with the integrated calm app. This device and related software are not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease.
Our favorite wearable Samsung device in terms of health tracking features, the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 lives up to its name as a godsend for those with active lifestyles. The wireless ECG monitor tracks your heart rhythm and gets ahead of atrial fibrillation before you step foot in your doctor’s office. The Galaxy Watch Active 2 is also simply a gorgeous smartwatch that pairs fantastically with a wide swath of Android and Samsung devices. Get healthy and look good doing it with this beauty.
- Get ahead of potential heart attacks with an advanced wireless ECG monitor approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
- An accurate ECG tracking system that outpaces most other ECG smartwatches in the marketplace.
- Most FDA-approved ECG smartwatches don’t offer the customizability and flash of this gorgeous smart device.
- Improved sleep tracking feature among the best available in fitness trackers right now.
- The new case design is lighter, comfier, and more durable than its predecessors.
- There’s an LTE option available for full cellular connectivity.
- You get more comprehensive health trackers than most ECG smartwatches for a fair price.
- We wish there were more free apps to enjoy in the Samsung App Store.
- The battery life for the 40mm version struggles with regular workouts.
1) Fitbit Sense ECG Smartwatch
- EDA Scan app detects electrodermal activity which may indicate your body's response to stress and a built-in skin temperature sensor logs yours each night so you can see when it varies.Band Size : Small : Fits wrist 140mm - 180mm in circumference. Large : Fits wrist 180mm - 220mm in circumference
- Assess your heart for atrial fibrillation –a heart rhythm irregularity- and easily share results with your doctor (The Fitbit ECG app is only available in select countries. Not intended for use by people under 22 years old.Operating temperature: 14° to 113°F
- An on-wrist skin temperature sensor tracks yours each night so you can see how it varies. You can also see your nightly blood oxygen levels at a glance with our collection of clock faces.Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 5.0.Operating temperature: -10° to 45° C
- High & low heart rate notifications alert you if yours seems above or below your average.Battery lasts 6 plus days plus, fast charging gives you a full day's charge in just 12 minutes (Varies with use and other factors; up to 12 hours with continuous GPS).Use built-in GPS during runs, hikes, rides and more to see pace & distance without your phone and use the built-in mic and speaker to take Bluetooth calls hands-free when your phone is nearby (Requires more frequent charging).
When it comes to bang for your heart health buck, we confidently choose the Fitbit Sense ECG Smartwatch over all other options currently in the marketplace. It’s one heck of a bargain considering all of the health tracking features included here, including a state-of-the-art ECG feature and comprehensive Health Metrics dashboard. And with a free six-month Fitbit Premium membership, you’ll get the most of this smart device morning, noon, and night.
- Detect atrial fibrillation and share information about abnormal heart rhythms directly with your doctor.
- Constantly monitors your heart health with a continuous ECG feature that checks for changes in the rhythm and speed of your heartbeat.
- EDA Scan app offers unparalleled health tracking, checking electrodermal activity for signs of stress.
- Multiple health tracking features and workout aids for your daily routine.
- Great battery life whether you’re using the ECG app regularly or periodically.
- We love the enhanced design scheme and the color palette of the display is high-quality.
- This is a fantastic value proposition and investment for health tracking and working out.
- The touchscreen lacks responsiveness at times.
- We wish there were more third-party apps to choose from.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can an ECG app on a smartwatch check for atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm abnormalities?
Yes! While an FDA-approved ECG watch is no substitute for a consultation with your doctor, it can help you uncover an irregular heart rhythm and provide the impetus to get checked out. The best ECG smartwatch detects atrial fibrillation and any other abnormalities that could be a sign of blood clots, high blood pressure, sinus rhythm issues, or other problems. And when the ECG recording is part of a comprehensive ECG app that’s easy to read and understand, you can assess the findings of the ECG monitors for yourself and take proper action when needed.
How does an FDA-approved ECG smartwatch work to give you an ECG reading?
Advanced ECG smartwatches complete electrical circuits throughout a wearer’s body to provide an accurate electrocardiogram reading. Wearable ECG devices use two different contact points to provide a comprehensive ECG reading — the point where the watch case touches against your wrists and the points where your opposite hand makes contact with it. With the information these contact points provide, your ECG smartwatch can detect blood flow problems, body temperature changes, and both heart rate spikes and falls.
With the help of a high-quality ECG tracking feature in an ECG smartwatch, you can gain valuable insight into your heart health and overall well-being. The six ECG watches above do more than just monitor your heart rate from time to time. They conduct full ECG tests and contain other health-monitoring functions that will help you gain a complete picture of things. Each of the ECG smartwatches above is an investment in your present and future. So, what are you waiting for? Get healthy and get informed as soon as you can.