Are you a weightlifter looking to decrease your stress levels and increase your resting heart rate to drop your overall fat percentage? Are you a competitive lifter in need of a serious upgrade from your budget sports watch of choice?
Whether you are looking to kill it on the bench press or make mincemeat out of free weights, you need a fitness-tracking smartwatch on your side (and around your wrist) that helps you optimize your physical activity to hit your weightlifting goals.
That’s where we come in. The minds behind our independent website have tested dozens of smartwatches, paring them down into a definitive list of the 7 Best Watches For Weightlifters In 2021. The seven fitness trackers below are the cream of the weightlifting crop.
From watches that automatically record your training progress to those with extra features that make life easier at the gym, you can’t go wrong with any of the devices on our list.
7 Best Fitness Trackers For Weightlifting In 2021
7) Fitbit Charge 3 Fitness Activity Tracker
- Better measure calorie burn, understand resting heart rate & more with 24x7 heart rate tracking and a battery life of up to 7 days (varies with use and other factors); charge time (0 to 100%) 2 hours
- Choose from 15 plus exercise modes like run, bike, swim, yoga, circuit training and more, set a goal, and get real time stats during your workouts to see how you can keep getting better
- Automatically record time spent in light, deep and REM sleep stages, see Activity trends, healthy insights, and personalized guidance in one place with Fitbit today. Operating temperature is -10° to 45° Celsius
- Swim proof and water resistant to 50 meters, so you can track swims and wear in the shower; we do not recommend wearing charge 3 in a hot tub or sauna; also connect to Smartphone GPS for real time pace and distance during outdoor runs and rides
- Stay connected to your day with everyday apps for weather and more and get called, text and smartphone app notifications on your wrist; small wristband fits a wrist between 5.5 to 7.1 inches; large wrist band fits a wrist between 7.1 to 8.7 inches
A multi-sports fitness tracker trusted by many athletes in a wide swath of different sports, the Fitbit Charge 3 Fitness Activity Tracker helps you to increase your calorie burn while keeping your heart rate on lock. With a 24/7 heart rate monitor and seven days of battery life to work with, the Fitbit Charge 3 smokes previous models from the Charge series out of the water. You can track steps, track distance, time spent working out, and take advantage of over 15 sports modes to move the needle during your weightlifting workouts.
5 Key Features
- Over 15 exercise modes to choose and benefit from.
- Completely waterproof to a depth of 50 meters.
- Text and smart notification connectivity on your wrist.
- Accurate heart rate monitoring system that will help you in the heat of your most intense workouts.
- Track calories burned and make notes of your progress as you go along.
- The heart rate monitor works overtime to ensure you get an accurate reading during all stages of your day.
- This watch’s multi-sport options make it much more than just an ordinary weight training sports watch.
- The sleep tracking system is on point and superbly detailed.
- The automatic brightness setting doesn’t dim correctly in low light.
- It doesn’t record fitness data while charging.
6) TicWatch Pro 4G LTE Smartwatch
- Upgraded Premium Design- Stylish and functional design with knurled stainless-steel bezel, Corning? Gorilla? 3 anti-finger print cover glass and water resistant speaker. US Military Standard 810G certified durability. Lightweight Silicone strap.
- Long Battery Life- Dual-layered ALOMED/LCD screens and two display mode options, Smart Mode will get you 2 days battery life, up to 5 days if Auto Switch to Essential Mode (LCD display only) is turned on. Up to 18 hours of battery life on cellular usage.
- Cellular Connectivity for Verizon Phone Plan Users- Instant calls and texts, cloud sync notifications, music streaming, remote smart home controls, emergency SOS auto-dial. Customers can activate the 4G/LTE feature via My Verizon app and Verizon website.
- Swim-ready Fitness Companion- IP68 waterproof and pool swimming suitable, 6 smart sports modes, GPS built-in. TicPulse technology empowers 24hr heart rate monitoring with abnormal heart rate warning. TicMotion technology proactively detects your motion and tracks running, fast walking and swimming activities.
- Smart Sleep Tracking- Download TicSleep app on the watch and check your sleep progress via Mobvoi App on the phone.
With up to five days of battery life and fantastic smartphone connectivity (and smart notifications) for Verizon users, the TicWatch Pro 4G LTE Smartwatch makes its home on the cutting edge of smart device technology. Crossfit athletes, traditional sports enthusiasts, and weightlifters alike will appreciate the A-plus sleep tracking system and the accurate data it provides. The real selling point here, though, is the military-grade durability of the watch case and glass combo. It takes a beating and never backs down from a strenuous workout.
5 Key Features
- Smart sleep tracking system connects seamlessly to the comprehensive TicSleep app.
- Full cell connectivity for Verizon subscribers.
- Impressive 18 hours of battery life when connected to your cellphone.
- IP68 waterproof means you can swim in the pool with it, no problem.
- Includes a built-in GPS and six well-crafted sports modes to choose from.
- The tactical watch design is both unique and extremely durable.
- Verizon users can make calls and receive texts through this watch.
- If you’re a weightlifter that struggles with getting optimal sleep, this fitness tracker will help remedy that.
- If you don’t have a Verizon phone plan, this becomes a less attractive purchasing option.
- You won’t be able to delete any of the pre-loaded apps.
5) Fitbit Fitness Tracker Inspire HR
- Utilize 24/7 heart rate to more accurately track calorie burn, resting heart rate & heart rate zones during workouts
- Track all day activity, including steps, distance, hourly activity, active minutes and calories burned. Operating temperature is -10° to 45° C
- Automatically track sleep, plus due to the heart rate feature, get more insights into your light, deep & REM sleep stages
- Enjoy up to 5 days of battery for daily progress without constant charging; varies with use and other factors. Maximum operating altitude is 8,535 m
- Automatically and conveniently, record workouts like walks, swimming & bike rides in a snap with smart track. Syncing range up to 6 meters
From step counts to rest monitoring, the Fitbit Inspire HR Fitness Tracker lives up to its billing as one of the best fitness trackers currently for sale in the marketplace. The 24/7 heart rate monitoring system helps you track resting heart rate, decrease stress levels, and leaves the included monitors on earlier Fitbit models such as the Fitbit Surge in the dust. The five days of battery life are a solid get. However, it’s the affordable price point and lightweight design which make this a must-have fitness tracker for weightlifters on a budget.
5 Key Features
- An accurate all-day activity tracker that counts everything from steps taken to calories burned.
- Automatically records multiple types of workouts including walking, swimming, and biking.
- A 24/7 heart rate monitor helps you find your optimum pace for weightlifting progress.
- The lightweight, unobtrusive design of this watch makes it easy to wear while working out.
- A detailed sleep tracker monitors your REM, deep, and light sleep stages.
- It’s one of the best fitness trackers in the business at one of the fairest price points we’ve ever seen.
- The heart rate and rest monitoring systems are top-notch for what you pay.
- The design is feather-light and easy to wear for wrists of all sizes.
- The activity-tracking system sometimes gets confused by sudden hand and arm movements.
- You need to wear the watch quite tightly to get accurate sleep tracking information.
4) Garmin Vívomove HR Fitness Tracker
- Stay connected with smart features such as music controls and smart notifications for incoming calls, text messages, calendar reminders and more (when paired with a compatible smartphone)
- Estimates heart rate with Elevate wrist heart rate technology
- Wellness monitoring tools, such as all day stress tracking and a relaxation timer, help you manage stress; includes advanced sleep monitoring with REM sleep
- Displays steps, calories, distance, heart rate, intensity minutes and VO2 max
- Effortlessly change your look with industry standard 20 mm quick release accessory bands
The first of two stellar Garmin watches in the top four of our countdown, the Garmin Vivomove HR Fitness Tracker is a cost-effective alternative to the more expensive Garmin Vivoactive 4. The best weightlifters know the stress that their gym pursuits put on their bodies. That makes the wellness-tracking features of the Garmin Vivomove HR Fitness Tracker even more essential. You can increase the efficacy of your rest periods to up your recovery speeds and build muscles the right way. Also, the smart notifications and smartphone controls included here are super useful!
5 Key Features
- Elevate wrist HR technology accurately estimates your resting and working heart rate.
- Connects to your smartphone for notifications and to stream music as you lift weights.
- Easy-to-understand readouts of VO2 Max levels and other key measurements.
- A bevy of wellness-monitoring tools to improve your quality of life.
- Multiple color options that fit different styles and personalities.
- The battery life is extremely strong for such a cost-effective smartwatch model.
- The pedometer and heart rate monitors are quite accurate.
- The touchscreen system is discreet in watch mode, yet responsive when you need it to be.
- The display is a bit small and hard to read for those with visual impairments.
- In direct sunlight, the screen gets washed out and becomes nearly unreadable.
3) Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch
- Use amazon Alexa built in to get quick news and information, check the weather, set timers and alarms, control your smart home devices and more all through the sound of your voice (third party app may be required; amazon Alexa not available in all countries).Water resistance depth:50 meters
- Based on your heart rate, time asleep and restlessness, sleep score helps you better understand your sleep quality each night; also track your time in light, deep and REM sleep stages and get personal insights
- Play music and control Spotify from your wrist. Subscriptions required for use of music service; not available in all countries
- With a larger display and an always on option, your information’s always a quick glance away (always on display requires more frequent charging)
- Track heart rate 24/ 7, steps, distance, calories burned, hourly activity, active minutes and floors climbed. Syncing range - up to 6.1 meters
The bright, large display of the Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch is a real game-changer. Yet, it’s the strong body battery, accurate sleep tracking (with sleep score), and multiple fitness tracking options that set it apart from every other Fitbit tracker out there. And thanks to the inclusion of the Amazon Alexa assistant, you can control all over your smart home devices and get on-demand information such as news and weather. Six days of battery life isn’t bad, either.
5 Key Features
- In-depth heart rate monitoring when you need it most.
- A comprehensive sleep tracking system that helps you get on the path to more restful slumber.
- The new display of the Fitbit Versa 2 is brighter and bolder than ever before.
- Connect to Spotify, add playlists from Deezer, and/or download and stream Pandora stations.
- Amazon Alexa is your one-stop assistant for your daily grind at home, at the office, and the gym.
- The AMOLED display has a color-rich palette that’s really attractive to the eye.
- An improved processor means less lag time while strength training.
- The addition of a new sleep mode allows you to track your rest without interrupting it.
- The Fitbit app store is pretty small compared to some other platforms.
- The lack of a screen lock feature is kinda annoying.
2) Garmin Forerunner 935 Fitness Watch
- Premium GPS running/triathlon watch with wrist based heart rate; Strap material: Silicone; Smartphone compatibility: iPhone, Android, Windows
- Offers advanced running and multisport Features in a comfortable watch you can wear all day, and it only weighs 49 grams
- Provides elevation changes with a built in barometer; altimeter and electronic compass help you keep your bearings
- Evaluates your training status to indicate if you’re undertraining or overdoing it and offers additional performance monitoring Features
- Provides advanced dynamics for running, cycling and swimming, including ground contact time balance, stride length and more. Bezel Material: Fiber reinforced polymer
If you’re not familiar with the added benefits of the Garmin Connect app, the Garmin Forerunner 935 Fitness Watch is here to enlighten you. This outstanding fitness smartwatch automatically syncs to the Garmin Connect application during and after each workout, allowing you to monitor your progress and even seek advice from other members of the weightlifting community. Also, this device’s multi-sport functionality and cool features such as a dedicated treadmill mode lift it near the top of the weightlifting watch heap.
5 Key Features
- Advanced dynamics for multiple workouts help you get the job done better and better each time you hit the gym.
- Weighs less than 50 grams.
- In-depth performance monitoring will help you become a better and more proficient weightlifter.
- Includes a built-in altimeter, barometer, and thermometer combo.
- Up to two weeks of battery life.
- You can customize your watch face in a variety of different ways.
- From a pure fitness-tracking standpoint, few (if any) smartwatches can compare.
- The Garmin Connect app is very well designed and will help you find areas of improvement to focus on during your weight training sessions.
- The menu system is a bit involved and complicated.
- You can’t monitor your heart rate while swimming.
1) Apple Watch Series 6
- GPS model lets you take calls and reply to texts from your wrist
- Measure your blood oxygen with an all-new sensor and app
- Check your heart rhythm with the ECG app
- The Always-On Retina display is 2.5x brighter outdoors when your wrist is down
- S6 SiP is up to 20% faster than Series 5
For those of you who aren’t Apple devotees, think of the Apple Watch Series 6 as the Babe Ruth of smartwatches. And for dedicated weightlifters like yourself, that means offering premium fitness tracking services and health monitoring sensors in an attractive and easy-to-understand format. The Apple Watch Series 6 also has the biggest library of third-party applications to choose from in the smartwatch oeuvre. That means you can customize your watch to your liking to increase your weightlifting gains while blowing off a little steam with games and entertainment apps.
5 Key Features
- Accurate ECG app that helps you monitor your heart rhythm during rest and at the peak of your workouts.
- GPS functionality gives you the ability to receive/make calls and texts from your wrist.
- Daily activity tracking syncs to your iPhone’s fitness app.
- Its lightning-fast processor is at the top of its class.
- Third-party apps help you tailor the Apple Watch Series 6 to your liking.
- Apple has created one of the best entertainment watches and best fitness trackers in a single, attractive package.
- You can listen to music, browse popular apps, and track your progress during weight training.
- There are several third-party apps on the platform that will give your strength training a boost.
- The inflated price point will scare off budget-conscious weightlifters.
- If you don’t have an iPhone, you can’t unlock this watch’s full potential.
Frequently Asked Questions
What fitness tracking features should I look for in a weightlifting watch?
Weightlifters should look for fitness watches with advanced training features tailored to the unique demands of weight training and strength training exercises. Custom workouts, weight lifting-specific features, advanced fitness tracking capabilities, and built-in GPS functionality are critical elements to look for out of a good fitness tracker. Your exercise routines will be anything but routine with the help of smart features that take weightlifting workouts to the next level.
In addition, you should look for a watch that offers sleep tracking capabilities, sensors that track vo2 max, heart rate, and blood oxygen levels, app compatibility with multiple apps including sports apps, and a case with military-grade durability to its credit.
What brand makes the best fitness tracker for weightlifters?
The Apple Watch Series 6 is undoubtedly the best watch for weightlifters out there right now. That makes Apple the premier watch brand for weightlifting aficionados. The Series 6 offers great water resistance, accurate data and training load monitoring, in-depth metrics thanks to a wide variety of third-party apps, multiple sports applications to choose from, GPS tracking, and plenty of opportunities for tracking weightlifting progress. From keeping tabs on your calories burned to analyzing your sleep patterns, the Apple Watch Series 6 can do it all and much more.
The best watches for weightlifters are more than just watches. They are top-tier fitness trackers built to meet and exceed the needs of professional athletes and amateurs alike. Whatever your fitness goals may be and whatever you’re trying to accomplish by lifting weights, any of the watches on the list above will provide the workout boost you need to hit new heights lift after lift.